• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Olympics 2014- The weird and the wonderful. (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Jilly

Staff member
So I hear that Erik Guay is racing at 2:30am Sunday morning. Since he's Tremblant born and bred, even the restaurants are going to stay open. Bar are open till 3 around here! I'll see the replays thank you.

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe, gold and silver medals! And Maxime for placing 12th as well. What a family! Their parents must be very proud right now.

We may not have the big mountains here in Quebec that you western divas have, but there's something in the water here 'cause we sure have a lot of Olympians.

pinto

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Woohoo Justine and Chloe Dufour-Lapointe, gold and silver medals! And Maxime for placing 12th as well. What a family! Their parents must be very proud right now.

We may not have the big mountains here in Quebec that you western divas have, but there's something in the water here 'cause we sure have a lot of Olympians.

It actually seems helpful not to have them ... many Olympians come from the smaller places ... all the big mountains just make you want to go ski them, not practice in gates and moguls and halfpipes... I think the US Alpine team has more western skiers than I ever remember, right now. (I have no idea about numbers, just impressions)

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire

Shall we keep results out of this thread? That way I can read about the weird and wonderful stories. I saw something about yay and Julia, but I'm nowhere near watching the replay so I'm very carefully covering your post with one hand while I'm writing this! :D

Jilly

Staff member
McMorris is from Saskatchewan. Nothing flatter in Canada than there. But the profile CBC did shows him wake boarding. So flips etc cross over to summer sports. First medal - bronze in slopestyle.

Jenny

Angel Diva
Shall we keep results out of this thread? That way I can read about the weird and wonderful stories. I saw something about yay and Julia, but I'm nowhere near watching the replay so I'm very carefully covering your post with one hand while I'm writing this! :D
I think that's a really good idea. Or else use the little button that hides things until you click on it.

Kimmyt

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Yes, please. It's hard enough to avoid spoilers when navigating through NBCs awful website to find video feeds! Just a simple SPOILER alert would be helpful, or a thread that is designated for talking about results.

mustski

Angel Diva

When I was a young un' and living on Montreal - I forget which winter Olympics it was - but the announcer kept referring to the "Kamakaze Canadians!"

Magnatude

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vanessa-Mae, the British former child prodigy pop-violinist, is skiing for Thailand, after qualifying at the last minute in some junior GS races in Slovenia, and despite being 14 or so years older than the other competitors. That seems pretty weird. She's competing under the (her Thai father's) surname Vanakorn. There seems to be a loophole for countries with no internationally-ranked skiers that if they meet some other, lower, qualifying standard, they can still represent their country.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Vanessa-Mae, the British former child prodigy pop-violinist, is skiing for Thailand, after qualifying at the last minute in some junior GS races in Slovenia, and despite being 14 or so years older than the other competitors. That seems pretty weird. She's competing under the (her Thai father's) surname Vanakorn. There seems to be a loophole for countries with no internationally-ranked skiers that if they meet some other, lower, qualifying standard, they can still represent their country.
That is really quite strange.

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I need that.
For what??? :yield:
Interesting--there was a male skateboarder with parents from different countries and he had decided to compete for the one people hadn't thought he would (you can see how full of holes my memory's gotten). The discussion was that it was just his choice. I do think you have to be a citizen, which means that kid must have been a dual citizen.

NZfarmgirl

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
For what??? :yield:
Interesting--there was a male skateboarder with parents from different countries and he had decided to compete for the one people hadn't thought he would (you can see how full of holes my memory's gotten). The discussion was that it was just his choice. I do think you have to be a citizen, which means that kid must have been a dual citizen.
Is that how that really terrible swimmer got into the summer Olympics that time?

RuthB

Angel Diva
Eric the eel? He was a wild card entry designed to encourage athletes from developing countries without expensive training facilities to participate.

The ones mentioned here seem more like Eddie the Eagle, the ski jumper from Great Britain. But these ones must have got better results because after his performance the IOC implemented the "Eddie the Eagle" rule that you must finish in the top 30% or top 50 whichever is the lesser.

jellyflake

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
MORE COWBELL!

Your neighbors will love you ;)

The Vanessa-story is great, I like that. TV told me she moved to some resort (I believe Courmayeur? But could be wrong) recently and improved her skills a LOT over the past two years or so.
Here is the qualification rules: click

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga