• Women skiers, this is the place for you -- an online community without the male-orientation you'll find in conventional ski magazines and internet ski forums. At TheSkiDiva.com, you can connect with other women to talk about skiing in a way that you can relate to, about things that you find of interest. Be sure to join our community to participate (women only, please!). Registration is fast and simple. Just be sure to add [email protected] to your address book so your registration activation emails won't be routed as spam. And please give careful consideration to your user name -- it will not be changed once your registration is confirmed.

Winter Olympics 2014- The weird and the wonderful. (SPOILERS INSIDE)

Jilly

Staff member
MORE COWBELL!

Local Junior A hockey team is the Belleville Bulls. That's their slogan at play off time.....I have a few, but I like the one I bought in Tignes the best.....fancy.

As for the bathroom door.....the door swings in, he could have popped the pin in the hinge and pull the door out of the frame! Just shows you how stupid guys can be!!

SkiBam

Angel Diva
When I was a young un' and living on Montreal - I forget which winter Olympics it was - but the announcer kept referring to the "Kamakaze Canadians!"

Maybe these were the ones also referred to as the "Crazy Canucks" - Steve Podborski, Ken Read and Dave Murray (though I might well be misremembering the names - it was a long time ago!).

I'm interested that so many people don't like spoilers. I, on the other hand, often prefer to watch a replay - after I know the results. (I can get too nervous otherwise.)

Jenny

Angel Diva
Maybe these were the ones also referred to as the "Crazy Canucks" - Steve Podborski, Ken Read and Dave Murray (though I might well be misremembering the names - it was a long time ago!).

I'm interested that so many people don't like spoilers. I, on the other hand, often prefer to watch a replay - after I know the results. (I can get too nervous otherwise.)
Oh, I just HATE knowing ahead of time! It takes so much of the tension and enjoyment out of it for me . . .

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I'd prefer not to know, ideally. But since so many of the events take place before I wake up, and since the results are so pervasively talked about in the media and by everyone I know, it's really hard to avoid them. So I've decided not to worry about it for these Olympics. Whatever I can watch live I will, but everything else is what it is.

Jilly

Staff member
This fall Tremblant announced they were changing the names of 2 runs to honour the Olympians from the resorts. Joke on Sunday morning was they were changing Erik Guay, back to Grand Prix!

This year is also the 75th anniversary of Tremblant. Sunday they had their annual "legends" race. 2 former Olympians were there. Linda Crutchfied and Peter Duncan. Geez they both won in their age group - >70! There's a great picture on the FB page of Peter wearing his Hudson Bay Coat that was their uniform that year. And Steve Finestone with the volunteer suit from the Calgary games. (orange in colour!)

segacs

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I think it's great that Tremblant names runs after ski greats. To be fair, though, while it's tempting to name them after all our terrific athletes, they probably should wait a while for the legacies to cement. It's like renaming streets or metro stations -- sometimes it really *can* be too soon.

Watching clips of the moguls finals now. Every time I watch this sport, my knees hurt in sympathy.

SkiGAP

Angel Diva
Is that how that really terrible swimmer got into the summer Olympics that time?
There seems to be a loophole for countries with no internationally-ranked skiers that if they meet some other, lower, qualifying standard, they can still represent their country.

The Olympics are about inclusion and fellowship. In athletics (track and field), each country can send up to three people in each event if they meet what is called an "A" (difficult) standard. There is a lower "B" standard, which must be met to go at all - that is, if you have one person in a given event who can meet the B standard they can go. Say you have no athletes - each country still has the right to be represented. So you send someone in some event. That is why you see people running the 100m dash in 20 seconds, or a "terrible" swimmer. They are representing their country and it is likely the proudest day of their lives...

These rules may have changed lately, and the Winter Olympics may be slightly different, but you get my drift. In athletics, the World Championships are different. No kum ba ya feelings, you had better meet at least the B standard or you don't go.

As for representing a country - if you have the passport you can go. There are some people who naturally have dual nationality - and some who purposely seek out another nationality, from "my grandmother was British" to "I'll go live in Australia for 5 years". For example, if you are are not likely to make the US team, you can become a citizen of Liechtenstein and compete for them. Then it becomes about nationality rules - some countries will bend over backwards to get athletes - like colleges recruiting for players. Some will not.

On the US (athletics) teams we have several nationalized athletes - those who gained US citizenship rather than having it at birth.

Last edited:

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I don't get curling. It's like shuffleboard on the ice, with brooms thrown in. And it appears to be much more of a strategy-driven sport than an athletic one. And of course, it's the only coverage being shown right now on NBC. Hours of it. And somebody in the crowd is playing a kazoo!

Jilly

Staff member
Try it, its not easy......I wouldn't equate it with shuffleboard, but more lawn bowling really. Except the centre doesn't move. But if you're not into curling, then its like watching paint dry!

altagirl

Staff member
I don't get curling. It's like shuffleboard on the ice, with brooms thrown in. And it appears to be much more of a strategy-driven sport than an athletic one. And of course, it's the only coverage being shown right now on NBC. Hours of it. And somebody in the crowd is playing a kazoo!

Have you tried it?

Yes, it's shuffleboard on ice, but it takes a lot of precision and skill to get those stones where you want them. And effort sweeping.... and balance to not land on your butt doing that as you run down the ice!

I love watching curling! Well, and I love actually playing too...

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Nope, only done shuffleboard. Because of the strategy, it's probably tons more fun to do than watch! FWIW, I also can't stand watching golf or baseball.

Jilly

Staff member
I used to curl, as I lived in really small town Canada. It was curl, play hockey or hit the convenience store for a social activity in the winter. They rolled up the sidewalks at 6pm!

Now its once a year at a bonspiel that one of my vendors puts on.

altagirl

Staff member
Nope, only done shuffleboard. Because of the strategy, it's probably tons more fun to do than watch! FWIW, I also can't stand watching golf or baseball.

I can't stand to watch golf, or even basketball...

But personally, I think curling gets more interesting when you know what's going into it. I only was on a curling team for 2 seasons, but it's kind of fun to look at it, think through what I'd do if I was the skip and then see what professionals choose to do with each scenario. Haha and laugh to myself about how half the time we'd attempt things like they do and the stone went nowhere near where we wanted it... Like most sports, the pros make it look really easy!

litterbug

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
Back when I still liked going to the gym I worked out at the Steiner Aquatic Center. Before the 2002 Games my favorite thing was to use the ellipticals that overlooked the ice skating rink so I could watch the figure skaters and a few curling teams that would show up to practice a few times a week, and I’m here to say that it really didn’t look that easy. It is all about fine control and precision, and once you see how hard it is to get the scrubbing right (and how easy it is to fall down while doing it) you come to appreciate the game. Once you start watching you start to care where the stone ends up. I don’t plan to watch any curling (in spite of the kazoo), but I have a little respect for those guys.

You can imagine the conditions in which this would become a sport--long, cold, damp winters with nothing to do but carve and polish rocks and hang out on the ice just to get out of your freezing stone house. Sounds Scottish, doesn't it?

That’s so funny—I guess I like being nervous! But once upon a time the Utah Jazz were playing well and some friends had to watch every game, and at one of them would get so frantic and anxious that they would lose that I had to stop watching the games with him. I imagine his stomach lining would have been healthier if he could have watched a recording after he had the score. So I guess I see what you mean.

contesstant

Ski Diva Extraordinaire
I can't stand to watch golf, or even basketball...

But personally, I think curling gets more interesting when you know what's going into it. I only was on a curling team for 2 seasons, but it's kind of fun to look at it, think through what I'd do if I was the skip and then see what professionals choose to do with each scenario. Haha and laugh to myself about how half the time we'd attempt things like they do and the stone went nowhere near where we wanted it... Like most sports, the pros make it look really easy!
When I watch it, I yearn for a beer and some salt to sprinkle on the table...
:tongue:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cholinga